Monday, August 25, 2008

Just what I needed to hear!

I sometimes find myself comparing my walk with Jesus to others. I know that I shouldn't but it seems to happen at times when God is stretching me with some struggle. My knee-jerk response is to look at others and say, "But Lord! Look there - why don't I have that, why didn't You give me this instead, how come they have it easier, etc...." I know this is a lack of faith and that my perspective isn't heavenly directed at moments like these. Thankfully, the Holy Spirit won't let me dwell upon these thoughts for long without redirecting my heart!


I bring this up because He has again shown me what I need to "hear" in my heart. When I struggle with Reagan, as I so very frequently do, and my heart is sore and my mind is tired, and I am moving toward selfishness and pity, my siblings often come to mind. I let myself think about how compliant their children are or how they handle their parenting so much more easily, yadda, yadda, yadda. This morning God was good to bring me to His Word and remind me of what He is doing in ME and take my focus off of others.



Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perserverence; 4 and perserverence, proven character; and proven character, hope; 5 and hope does not dissappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Romans 5:1-5 (NASB)



My goal should not be ease and constant peace in my daily relationship with Reagan. God is good to remind me of the work that He is faithfully doing in my heart and the character and hope that He is building in both of us. I would rather have tribulation in order that I be refined from the inside out than a lifetime of ease with a compliant daughter! I want to have godly character no matter what the Lord has to do to develop it! I am so glad that He has given me His Word to draw my eyes back up to Him....

3 comments:

Momma Roar said...

Yes, God is good!!

Jennefer said...

Andrea,

What a great word. God's definitely refining me through the raising of my special kiddo too. Such a blessing and yet such a challenge at the same time. I cling to His promise that He will not give me more than I can bear. I can tend to get discouraged when I compare my life to others and I have to redirect my focus to the cross.

Blessings to you!
Jennefer

Sharon said...

Isaiah 30:15 is a good rebuke and exhortation to read when you are feeling yourself too much reliant on your own power. Check it out:

This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says:
"In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength,
but you would have none of it."


~ Sharon